Saturday, February 6, 2010

Laneway Sausage Sizzle

I did drag my feet yesterday. Not sure whether it was trying to start again after so long or was it facing up to the reality that my passion for food wouldn't pay the bills...
A laneway street party was on in full swing. We pushed our way through the whirling dervishes, the break dancers and the rest who swilled beer or sipped coffees watching and being seen.
Prep in the kitchen was still in full swing - a little more crazy and I could actually find a things. A few casualties - a tray of hot duck fat missed me by inches, 24 painstakingly peeled soft boiled eggs landed on the floor and then in the bin and a few vanishing ingredients.
Orders came in and the chef was on a roll. My head spun with the sounds of the roar of the burners, voices shouting 'behind you', 'hot hot hot pan coming through' and 'I'm on it chef' combined with the DJ pumping it out in the street outside.
Shed the apron, wished my kitchen team good night and joined my friends for a meal. Felt more natural dining and being served. The spicy noodle salad was a winner but we need to talk about the service. Will return to the kitchen next week for an evening of prep.
In the meantime I go back to making waffles, hot cakes, lasagnas and chutneys in my kitchen with my family. Very satisfying.

No comments: